Monday, July 2, 2012

Whole Wheat Goodness



I have a major sweet tooth. Actually, several. And several of them have had root canals and fillings and crowns...Unfortunately I passed this on to my kids and Riley's had a few small fillings and Rowan had to have major dental surgery because of cavities that formed SO fast and spread so quickly that within two months his teeth were goners. I'm proud to say that I've stayed on top of my kids dental health for awhile now, but I still want to limit our sugar intake. Sugar is awful. I know it now, I've read the proof, so I can't deny it any longer. Ignorance really is bliss, isn't it? With my grandma having leukemia and my Popoo (grandpa) having cancer it's opened my eyes up to how important diet is for our health. We love bread, and we love sweet flavors, so what better than finding a bread recipe that has NO white sugar and you can pour honey on it and satisfy the craving! Here's the best recipe I've found on the internet so far for whole wheat bread. I wrote it down but didn't save the site, it's probably from the King Arthur site though.

- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water (I make mine a little on the warmer side)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
-1/4 cup honey (I used a little more tonight and it was even better)
-3 1/2 cups King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour (I bought mine at Hy-vee)
-2 1/2 tsp. instant yeast, dissolved in two tbsps from the 1 1/4 cup of water
-1 1/4 tsp. salt

I combined all of the ingredients in a bowl, in that order with the yeast last (make sure your salt  is non iodized because that will affect it). Mix it up and then stick it in your bread maker and turn it to the *Dough function- or I guess you could kneed it :). Mine takes 1:30 to beat it and then it rises. I take it out of the bread maker and pound it down a few times, then put it in the pan I'm going to cook it in and cover it and put it in a warm place for another hour or so- then bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes. It tastes SO good. Looks so good. I don't even put butter on it! (Who am I turning in to!?). We were lucky enough to have honey from my dad and grandpa's honey harvest so I've been eating it with honey. Speaking of that, you should watch the short film Nathan made... :) https://vimeo.com/44359636

No comments:

Post a Comment